Sunday, October 16, 2011

I am Not a Runner

I went to my doctor on Thursday for a routine med check and gave her the heads up on what's been going on with my shoulder. She knows I suffer from an unknown chronic pain syndrome, but the car accident, and most likely subsequent shoulder discomfort, occurred a week AFTER my last appointment. She had me do basic strength and movement tests, which I knew I'd pass with flying colors (and did), but she can see some muscle tightness around the rotator cuff, most likely caused by inflammation that's never gone away. After telling her I recently realized weight lifting has exacerbated the pain and kept it lingering around just when I think it's starting to heal, we decided I probably need to cut out ANY upper body weights entirely. Arms, shoulders, back, chest, almost everything. She said once I feel like the injury is 70% healed I can start reintroducing weights and see how it goes, but not for at least 3-4 weeks. *gulp* I miss it so much already!!! But do feel less pain, I must admit. *sigh*

She also told me to take a prescription NSAID once a day for 3-4 weeks & to go to physical therapy. I'm popping the pill as instructed, but last time I went to that place for physical therapy I HATED it. Plus, it's VERY time consuming, so I'm holding off for now. If I really thought it would help I'd make it a priority, but I just don't have the faith. *shrug*

Meanwhile, since I still hate the cardio options at the new gym and am now resigned to being a temporary cardio queen, I'm trying to have a workout to look forward to. I decided to take up running. I've always wanted to be a runner, but let's be honest here...I'm just not. Not at all.

Call them excuses if you will, but I have everything going against me. I have the flattest of flat feet that severely overpronate, I have asthma, bad knees, need I go on?

I don't think I've ever been able to run a mile straight, even when in great shape. I don't know if it's purely a mental obstacle or if I truly do have physical limitations, but obviously I could do it if I worked harder, no matter what the issue.

I decided to try out the Couch to 5K program.

Yesterday was day one, at the gym. It went pretty well. I don't know exactly what speeds to go for walking vs running, though. I'm slow. Real slow. I'd like to challenge myself, but not overdo it, ya know? I think I've started out a wee bit slower than I probably should, but then again I already feel overwhelmed!

Today, technically day 2, I forgot to switch over on my iPhone app, so I accidentally did day one again. You'd think for a program that is even for people who legit have NO endurance, days 1 and 2 wouldn't be much different, but it kinda is. Oops. Tomorrow.

Anyway, today I attempted my first outdoor "run." Errr....not there yet. I got to minute 12 (aka only ran for 3 minutes at that point, not consecutively either) and then ran back in my house and finished it on the treadmill. MUCH better. Who knew it was THAT drastic of a difference? Ouch.

I hope I improve. And that it's not miserable! My (lack of) arches are already killing me.

Time to go make a fun playlist. Let's do this.....

xo,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Are you wearing inserts in your running shoes? One of my pain doctors told me that the majority of patients he sees have flat feet and their foot falls to the inside when they step. Mine also have a natural turn out that I've tried to correct. ANYWAY, he said to get these insoles fitted into regular running shoes with no extra frills (taking out the insole that comes with), and it did make me stand straighter and walk easier. The brand he recommended and used is called ProKinetics. I don't know if that would help at all. Knees don't bother me since I'm more of a everywhere BUT joints type of pain disorder, but perhaps brace supports when trying to run will stop the damage to them. If your knees really are bad, I would try doing some exercise in the water rather than running. Kicking from the side of the pool as to not hurt your shoulder, treading water, etc are all good cardio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a Couch to 5K last year from iTunes.. or at least a day or two lol. I decided I didn't like the "music" on it and just did my own workouts. I used to hate running but in the last couple years started to enjoy it. I haven't run in a few months though since one of my knees is randomly hurts and I don't want to make it worse (mostly that, but also didn't want to overheat working out in summer). I miss it! I might try again soon. Now I just walk a couple miles at 4.0, it serves the purpose. I really want to do a 5K at some point! My dad did one maybe 5 years ago that's always in May.

    -sassymolly

    ReplyDelete