Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Most Simple, Delicious, Homemade Beer Bread

I googled something like "easy beer bread," found a recipe, and tweaked it. I'm more of a cook than a baker, so I didn't have high hopes, but this bread is AWESOME! I want to eat the whole pan. I'm definitely going to keep making this. It's easily adaptable based on what you have in your own pantry, but here's what I used:

Ingredients:
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-2 cups unbleached white flour
-1 12 oz bottle of beer
-1/4 cup baking stevia
-1/4 cup demerara (raw) sugar (any sugar is fine, that's just what I had)
-pat of butter

Directions:
-preheat oven to 375 degrees
-rub the butter on your loaf pan and set aside for now
-mix your flour, sweeteners, and beer in a mixing bowl. Transfer to your pan. mixture should be a little sticky.
-cook approx. 53 minutes, take bread out and rub your butter on the top layer. Put back in oven for 2 more minutes.
-Take out, let cool a little (I sampled it after maybe 5 min and it was hot, but able to be sampled), and then devour!

You can probably use any type of flour or sweetener. I was worried about using stevia, since I know yeast (from the beer) feeds off of sugar, but no problems here. I'm not sure if it would work using 100% sugar-free options, but I'm sure it would be fine. I've also read you can use 7 up or Sprite instead of beer, but don't quote me on that!

It's on the sweet side, but I think it would be fine for savory dishes or sandwiches, too.

YUM.

xo,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment