Saturday, March 28, 2009

Delicious Soup

About a month ago my Dad gave me a recipe from Woman's World magazine (lol) that he wanted me to make for us. It's basically a chicken and vegetable soup. I modified the recipe a little bit (added more vegetables and tweaked amounts of what they suggested and the like) and it's SO. GOOD. The first time I made it almost exactly like the recipe and it was still good, but a little bland. Last nite was my second attempt and....YUM. 

Here's all what's in it:

-tiny bit of olive oil
-thin slices of lightly browned white onion 
-cubes of chicken breast (or you can use turkey)
-chopped pieces of carrot
-chopped pieces of celery
-chopped garlic
-fresh or dried thyme or oregano (I used dried oregano b/c it's all I had)
-1 jalapeno (with seeds)
-chopped tomato
-cayenne pepper/red pepper flakes
-black pepper
-pinch of sea salt
-chicken broth
-lemon juice
-splash of white wine
-tons of spinach (and I added a little kale this time too)
-little bit of garlic powder
-little bit of onion powder

I think that's everything? Delicious. The recipe also suggests you sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on top, which is kinda nice. I also like to add hot sauce to my bowls, but my Dad prefers without. The only downside to this soup is it takes me a little over an hour to make (mostly b/c of the time it takes to chop everything and wait for the onions to brown, chicken to cook through, etc.). It's worth it, though. The recipe I use makes 8 servings, so it's not like it has to be made daily.

Also, when I was adding the kale, I noticed the bag the kale came in had a recipe for another soup on the back that sounds AMAZING. It's a chicken and kale coconut curry soup. Mmm. I'll be buying ingredients for that on my next grocery trip for sure!

Of course we start getting into soup as soon as it's about to get warm out, but oh well! That's what a/c is for :). 

XO,
Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment