Sunday, March 21, 2010

Upcoming Vegan Experiment

I've been reading Alicia Silverstone's new book, The Kind Diet. I'm not very far, but I plan to have it finished by the time I get home from my trip next week. Alicia has said that within 2 weeks of going vegan (and not even healthy vegan, but when she was still eating a lot of processed foods, pastas, etc), people started to notice how her skin glowed and she just ultimately looked a lot better. And she felt better too. Out of curiosity, I have decided to experiment and go vegan for 2 weeks. Just to see if I notice a difference.

For some reason I always wish I could be vegan permanently, I really do. I think about it a lot. But for me, there's really no point or logic. I love yogurt, I love goat cheese, I love sour cream, and I love seafood. And since they don't make me sick, what would be the point? The rest I could probably do without and not feel terribly deprived, but at the same time, I do enjoy eating other non-vegan (or even non-vegetarian) foods, so why shouldn't I? But still, I'm curious.

Maybe I will try to lean more vegetarian, which I've been wanting to do anyway. We'll see.

I'm definitely not going to start until I'm back from Montana, because a.) my grandma lives basically in the middle of nowhere. Try explaining veganism to a bunch of ranchers and cowboys, LOL. And b.) kind of goes with a.), but....it's fricking cow country. The breakfasts alone offer huge slabs of ham, steak, eggs, and biscuits with sausage gravy. I'd starve, lol.

Anyway, I have about a week and a half or so before I want to start. I do want to be finished by my birthday, so I can go out for a nice omnivore dinner (see how I couldn't be fully vegan? *rolls eyes at self* lol), but it should be perfect timing.

If anyone has vegan recipes they'd like to share or anything else, feel free to shoot a comment below.

Thanks!

xo,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. well you know im vegan and never set out to be this way, but based on food allergies, i am. in the beginning going from veggie to vegan was a little weird b/c i used to eat cheese every now and then but now, i dont miss it whatsoever and the thought actually makes me feel...blah. i am doing a post in 2 days about dairy..and i think you will enjoy it if that's your biggest hurdle.

    just think of yourself as plant-based and that way a little dairy will happen but not tons. think of yourself as a vegetarian and that may help, the mental shift of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been vegan for 3.5 years and a vegetarian 3 years prior to that. Hands down, the best decision I ever made. I didn't do it because I hate meat, I did it because I found out the truth about where the meat comes from and the process that's involved. It's not pretty. I also have ethical, environmental, and health concerns.

    I never thought I'd be a vegetarian, let alone a vegan! But after reading The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, I changed my life and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend the book.

    There are alternatives to every animal product out there. I actually just had some vegan yogurt about a half hour ago. Some brands are better than others and some of the food is AMAZING. I applaud you for your desire to try it out for two weeks and feel free contact me if you have any questions or just want to talk about it: merryroseleffler@gmail.com and good luck!

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete