Monday, January 25, 2010

Sprinkles Goes Gluten Free?

January 25

I went to bed about 1 am last nite and didn't wake up 'til almost 2:30 pm. Whaaaat? I still feel sick too. This is ridiculous.

-1 gluten free flax waffle with pumpkin butter
-cut up organic gala apple with a little dollop of honey peanut butter for dipping
-small portion of my homemade granola bar (HOLY SH&# these are GOOD)
-heated slice of all natural nitrite free etc ham
-hibiscus tea




Thanks to Averie for the "granola" bar, it was really her recipe. Damn, girl! Incredible. There a few differences between hers and mine, but they're close enough. I got a little too excited and forgot to add the coconut, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Also, I made these last at nite and was too tired to dig around my fridge for the maple syrup, so I subbed in agave. But I think the peanut butter I used was maple-flavored, so...it works. Oh, and I added white chocolate chips in too (But I also used regular chocolate ones) and I used chocolate protein powder (all we had) instead of vanilla. But overall it was the same idea. I WILL make these again (and again and again). You can find the recipe in the middle of this post. You won't regret it.

I ate the breakfast one right out of the freezer and it was heaven. Then, I transferred the stash to the fridge. Then, as you'll soon see, I had a second bar a few hours later it was almost too gooey to hold up a solid shape. Still good, but I put the rest back in the freezer. Next time I'd either do exactly the same thing and just keep them frozen or perhaps add a little more bulk (oats, nuts, seeds, etc.) for a firmer texture if I was planning to eat one on the run and need to carry it around with me. But the taste is still phenom.

Umm, so I guess 13+ hours of sleep wasn't enough. I am still EXHAUSTED. Sickness, go away. Now plz. Partially because I REALLY want to start working out again. All you bloggies have been working out like CRAZY lately and I want in on that!

-another homemade granola bar (addicted...)



-chicken chili w/ a dollop of organic sour cream & a handful of fritos (1.5 bowls)
-venti vanilla rooibos tea





I should have stopped at the one bowl. TOO. FULL. I've been saying that way too often lately. I was still hungry after, but I should have just kept drinking my tea and waited 5-10 more min to be sure. Blah. I got the recipe from today's Rachael Ray show. It was OK. It was one of her viewer's recipes and it was really easy. My dad had a small bowl to taste (he'd already eaten dinner) and said it was good, but not great. He suggested I add a little chili seasoning, so I did and he was right...a lot better. More sodium unfortunately, but a less bland taste. My Mom LOVED it and she wasn't even going to eat any initially. She had two bowls and she generally eats even smaller portions than I do.

I didn't think I could eat again, but it was way too early to take my second pill (8pm...took the first around 2:45pm), so my Dad suggested I cut it in half and take half around 8:45 and half around 11, so that's what I decided to do.

When I went to get my tea, I only took a couple dollars in with me to Starbucks. Bad move. They had a bunch of new snacks, including an almond and cashew Kind bar that looked amazing (you know me and cashews), some yummy looking dried/dehydrated fruit, and gluten free cookies! Among a few other things. Looked worth a try. Hopefully all of the Starbucks have a stash of them, so I can partake in a few soon :).

Since I had to make another snack to take the second half of my pill with, I had...

-small mug of gluten free frosted flakes with a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk
-1/2 of a large apple-pear, 4 cut up strawberries, & 2 segmented mandarin orange cuties
-water




I still like plain, sweetened almond milk the best, but the unsweetened vanilla is growing on me a little.

Earlier, I prepped another Averie recipe for tomorrow's breakfast. Stay tuned to see what it is and how it turned out. Except, once again I got overexcited and forgot the cinnamon. I have to stop doing that-I love cinnamon! And it's great for stabilizing blood sugar.

While typing this I just watched the second episode of Life Unexpected, that new CW show. I love it so far. Am I the only one watching? I hope not!

& On a final note, I read that Sprinkles has both vegan and gluten free cupcakes now (red velvet to start). I hope they're here to stay, that'd be amazing. I don't know if they're just testing them or if they're an every day thing or what, but I need to find out asap! I don't understand why they aren't advertising it via their website, but they mentioned it on their twitter/facebook for today at least. Anyone know any further info?

xo,
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Oh the protein bars look great AND cant wait to hear how the pancakes turn out for you!!! I am so excited you're making my recipes and enjoying!! them. That's fabulous!

    Shoot me a comment when you post so I will be sure to see it!
    xoox

    Sprinkles...no idea, but cool if it's true!

    ReplyDelete