Sunday, August 23, 2009

August 22

August 22

Woke up around 11:35--thanks Mom--as none of my alarms went off. Eek! Luckily I forced myself to go to sleep at 3:30am, so I got about 8 hrs and wasn't crazy tired. Before we left for Mamma Mia I ate one of the Uncle Eddie's vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Just like my Mom experienced, I thought the first bite was averages/so-so, but it gets FREAKING DELICIOUS by the end. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. :-P. I weighed myself after the cookie but before my shower and I was down 3lbs =-o.




Neither my Mom nor I were hungry when we got to the venue, but decided to go to the overpriced theatre buffet anyway out of habit + my Mom wanted the desserts. She can never save room for dessert, she barely ate anything as is, but this time she snuck in a tupperware container to take some cake to-go lmao. I didn't overeat and still got a stomachache, but I took some pepcid and it went away pretty quickly. Unusual, but I'll take it! I REALLY wanted champagne, but decided it wasn't risk a possible headache. Boo. I had water and iced tea + salad with spinach, corn, shrimp, a tinnnny drizzle of ranch, a little hummus, a little smoked salmon spread, 1 tiny bite of a piece of dolma, etc. I left about 1/3 of it on my plate. For the entrees I tried a little bit of everything (well lots of things, I didn't try a few things, it's a small buffet tho...they always have a fish, a chicken, a potato, 2 kinds of veggies, plus something else and a carving station with a beef item & a "white meat" item...lamb, pork, turkey, etc.). I picked the smallest pieces of each thing (and they're all already small) I tried and even then left a little of each. I tried the cod, chicken, moussaka, roasted potatoes, and spinach with lemon. I'm such a spinach whore! I left at least 1/3 of that as well. Not bad! I almost felt bad since it was over $20/person, but that's no reason to stuff myself, plus I had plenty. The perfect amount really. For dessert I grabbed a tiny baklava bite and one big bite of bread pudding with fresh whip. I hate whipped cream usually (I also tried one bite of the sponge cake with strawberry whip cream my Mom got, but it wasn't v. good. yuck whipped cream..), but the fresh stuff was superb! The bread pudding wasn't as good as usual, so I only ate a teeny tiny bite of what I put on my plate. I took the baklava bite to go too. I was shocked at myself, I must have had a stomachache, b/c who am I to only eat 2 tiny bites of dessert?! lol. Mostly I was just bummed and protesting b/c the menu promised "wedding cake" and in my mind that meant white cake with white frosting for some reason and there was none of that. I'm not even a huge white cake fan, but I was looking forward to it, so that was disappointing, but oh well. Even though they always serve great-sounding items it's never THAT good, but we always want to go anyway. As usual it wasn't that good (I liked the chicken and spinach, but everything else was mediocre), but I'm sure we'll go again lol.




The show was SO GOOD. I've seen the movie, but never the play so it was really cool. Our seats weren't up to our usual standards either (lol we sound like such theatre snobs), but it was still well worth it. My Mom was stuck in front of a tall-ish lady with big hair, so after the intermission I offered to switch with her. Yeah, I know I'm pretty sweet :). If I craned my neck I could see fine, but the lady kept moving, so I had to keep moving too lol. I hope the people behind us could see, argh! We were in the second to last row of the orchestra, so at least it was only one person behind me, but still. We usually sit in the first 5 rows at this venue, so we're not used to that problem there, but it wasn't too bad I guess. It was nicer when I had the "good" seat at first tho, hehe. The actors were really great. So happy we went! My Mom wasn't sure if she'd like it, but she LOVED it and said it may be her fave musical now. Wow! They were selling pink boas for souvineers (since they dance with one during one of the numbers). I love boas and I love pink, so my sweet Mom insisted she buy one for me. I should take a pic in it soon :). I forgot to then grr. Love it!

After, I suggested we go to a mall on the way home to check out Macy's and my Mom agreed. But first, we got slightly lost (well not lost so much as we took a different turn than we meant to and went another way, but basically knew where we were) and we ended up on a street I'd never been to and I scared the shit out of my Mom 'cause I screamed "STOP! PULL IN THERE!" out of nowhere lol. I noticed we were at the perfect area to turn in and I didn't want her to miss it! This frozen yogurt shop I've always wanted to try (Natsumi), but never thought I'd be able to b/c we never go to that area, was there! We both got plain flavor (our fave). We both prefer extra tart extra icy sorts, but this was the creamier variety. Still, the flavor was really good! Probably the best creamy, plain yogurt I've had. Good stuff. I got mine with mango and kiwi and they make it in a cup, parfait-style, with fruit in the middle and on top. Nice! It melted pretty fast though. I got a medium, probably should have gone for the small (as always), but I managed...even if the end was basically liquid. I wish I knew how many ounces it was, but I couldn't find out and didn't ask grr. I did notice on their website that it's all organic. Nice!



Then, my Mom got excited at a store we passed (La Mariposa, a Mexican import store) and we tried to go in, but we parked across the street and she asked a random valet guy (we think) if she could park there and he said only if we were eating at the restaurant that was right there. Ugh lame. IDK why she even asked though? I doubt he'd have said anything otherwise. It was too hard for her to backtrack to get across the street. Poor Mom. She's happy she found it tho, for future reference.

We finally got to the mall and the Macy's selection SUCKED. We both left empty-handed. Booo. I went to Forever 21 next door and it sucked too. I tried on a dress I thought I'd love that I saw on the website, but it looked stupid. The chest part was really tight (it was still wearable there tho), but the body was so loose and puffy that it was ridiculous. Lame. HOWEVER.....

I asked my Mom if we could look at Kay's for my ring. For my graduation present I asked for a ring as my pressie and my parents said sure. Instead of a class ring I requested an emerald ring (my college's color is kelly green aka my fave color) for symbolism that I could wear forever, since I didn't think I'd wear an actual college ring. I've been looking online for months and never seemed to find the perfect one. It seems like emerald rings are the hardest stone to find, who'd have thought? So annoying. There were two on the Kay's website that I thought were promising though, so we went to check them out. They only had one of the two, The one I thought I'd like the most, but I hated it. It looked so cheap. Boo. We decided to check out a few more jewelry stores too, I think we went to 6 in all? Of course I found mine at the final store. It always works that way, huh? I'm still not 100% sure I made the right decision, but I have time to return. I doubt I will tho, they're really pretty. Yep, they. I got two! So, I wanted a BIG emerald (in either emerald-cut lol lots of emerald or princess cut) with diamonds around it. They had that type of ring in EVERY gemstone except emeralds, natch. Especially in aquamarine. They had similar ones to what I wanted, but the emerald was too small, blah blah blah.

Well, we got to Helzberg's, where my Mom thought they were the priciest based on past experience, but they actually had the best deals. I found one that had a medium-sized emerald with 2 slightly smaller emerald side stones plus diamonds. Really pretty. I figured it'd be like $600 (we were looking to spend approx. $300, more or less), but the girl said it was only $120. What? How? It's lab-created emerald, but so were all of the others I saw (natural emeralds seem to not exist...sheesh :() and they were all $250+ and much smaller. Crazy. I guess a lot of it had to do with the band. Most of the others were white gold, but that one was sterling silver. Not quite what I wanted, but not a deal breaker. Anyway, I tried it on and really liked it, but still wasn't convinced that it was "the one." Possibly b/c I was being a snob and thought how could a nice ring, like I was wanting, only be $100ish? Dumb, I know. Well, that, and the fact that it didn't look like how I envisioned "the ring" I was looking for, y'know? But everyone kept raving over it. My Mom said she'd buy me that PLUS diamond stud earrings. I was like are you crazy? But we looked at those. She said to look at half a carat. Yeahh they were on sale for $899. I knew that would happen lol, but oh well, I don't mind wearing fakes tooooo much :-P. So she suggested a matching emerald and diamond or just diamond necklace, but they didn't really have any (well they had a plain diamond one I loved...for $1500 lol). I decided to look around the store one more time and they had some pretty diamond rings. I figured they'd also be $1500 plus tho, but the first ring I picked (and loved), which I figured would be at least that if not way more, was on sale for $299! The receipt said it's regularly $750, but idk if they just say that? 'Cause it also said $450 under that? Confusing, but whatever. So I was trying to decide between that one and the emerald, but it was hard! My birth stone is a diamond, but it was supposed to be a college-thing. Well, my Mom told me to just get both. I still wasn't sure it was the right thing, but after staring at them for ages I finally said OK if she was sure. The emerald one needed to be resized 'cause I wanted to wear it on a different, bigger finger, so it will be ready on Thursday. I took the diamond one home as is, but after wearing it out, I think it's a little too loose, so on Thursday I'll drop that one off for them to resize it as well. My only concern is that people who rated it on the website said it's gorgeous blah blah, but the diamonds are prone to falling out (it makes up 1/2 a carat total with real diamonds and a white gold band, but there are 81 small diamonds in total, so 81 chances for disaster lol). I have the lifetime warranty for both, so if anything happens it's free to replace, but stillll. I'm a rough girl! LOL. Hopefully it'll be OK.

Here's the diamond one, I'll show you one of the other on Thursday:




What do you think??

Now...back to food. We went to the grocery store to get a couple random things, then came home. We (or should I say my Mom. I wasn't too hungry) contemplated grabbing a burger at a restaurant for dinner, but ended up not going. I didn't really eat dinner, just had a bite or two of the already-cooked turkey my Mom got and I had another vegan cookie (chocolate chip with walnut this time. I like oatmeal more, but both=bueno, but my Dad and brother both liked the walnut one better).

Around 11:30pm I got really hungry and decided I had to eat, so I made a bowl of crispix with skim milk (someone mentioned it the other day and I couldn't get it out of my head, so I had to get some!) and I finished the last 2 pieces of grilled chicken my Mom had leftover from yesterday's mexican food for a little more protein. I'm glad I ate something decent, because honestly I just wanted more vegan cookies, but knew I'd eaten tons of sugar already :-P. I also had (prior to the cereal) a little bit of berry flavored sparkling water. They didn't have grapefruit wahh. Berry is only so-so. I also got lime.




That's about it.

xo,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment